PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 25th Jun 2008, 05:19
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spodman, why doesn’t anyone from Airservices come on this site and put their name to the decision for the low level ADS-B and sell its advantages?
I am from Airservices, but I am not a spokesperson for them. My name is in my profile if anybody is interested, if that is tecknikally beyhond your it is Mark Spedding. We have met, and spoken at the odd airshow. Most ATC & professional pilots seem to prefer anonymity as they believe other peoples careers have been affected by what they have posted here, and also believe management are as diligent in cracking user names as you are. I'm sure this has been explained to about a bazillion times, but I'm sure you still don't get it. Because my identity is readily accessible I don't always speak my mind or get involved here in industrial issues.

I don't propose to spruik for ADS/B or SSR, just don't want to see stuff posted here I think is misleading or untrue. I'm happy to keep ATC'ing with the tools I'm given, and the procedures mandated. I can see a huge benefit in efficiency with stage 2 ADS/B, enabling the sort of airspace arrangements that seem to give you a stiffy, and really don't get why you are fighting it. The easier option for me is business as usual with the gear we have now, but I don't object to exerting myself a bit for the system to improve. Bring it on!
The FAA has stated that it will be keeping the secondary surveillance radars to provide a service above FL180 when ADS-B is installed.
It is misleading statements like this that get me steamed about you, and reassure me in my opinion that you really don't have a clue. The article you linked in your last rant on this subject has a quote from the boss of the group writing the new rules:

“ADS-B, as a replacement of radar separation for all aircraft, is a core element in ATC modernization that NBAA supports and is working to enhance through the ARC.”