PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 25th Jun 2008, 04:42
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Kaptain Kaos, well may you say “yawn yawn.” No doubt some people were saying that when others were querying the Super Seasprite order 10 years ago. Now $1 billion later, it is no longer a yawning matter, it is a serious waste of resources.

I have recently been told that the decision in relation to the ADS-B project and the $100 million subsidy is going to be made by the Department. Now remember the Department is now called the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government – and everything else! In my experience, they have no one left who has any expertise in this field. How would they ever be able to make such an important decision?

More to the point, why is the Department making this decision? Surely it should be Airservices proposing it to the industry and CASA, then making the decision in conjunction with all three – i.e. Airservices, CASA and the industry.

If it is the Department, don’t hold your breath.