PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 24th Jun 2008, 22:42
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[hmmm! logged in to self-moderate my last post which in retrospect may have been a bit frooty and it has gorn. I'll try again...]
Readers of PPRuNe will probably understand that the Airservices low level ADS-B project, and the planned removal of low level radars, is heading down the same route as the Super Seasprite helicopter purchase.
Erm, really? Was ADS/B created for a patrol boat which was never built? Was ADS/B put into a paddock in the desert 30 years ago then painted up purty with added shiny bits and then flogged to the gullible? Was ADS/B bought off the shelf to an international standard like that nice dick smith bloke is always bleating about? No, no, no and yes.
It is obvious that the decisions are made by those who never ask advice. For example, how can the “proposed 2012 mandate” ever come in now, as no decision has been made regarding the low level ADS-B project?
You have your head in the sand there I believe, but regardless, it seems a good idea to get as much life as is reasonably available from the existing equipment to facilitate a delay in the final decision.
As I have pointed out numerous times, the FAA is keeping all of its secondary surveillance radar for airspace above FL180 for safety and other reasons. Why is it that Australia is to go it alone on a cheaper ADS-B only system?
Weren't you saying last week the FAA wanted to turn them off? I referred your comments to a US ATC of my acquaintance and this is her comment: "Okay, I want to bite your pinhead on the neck too. I see he's an authority on the FAA too, and talks as though he knows Pat Forrey personally."
More importantly, this life extension program is completely unsatisfactory. New Zealand has actually issued a contract to completely refurbish their secondary surveillance radar to give a life of at least 20 years. That is what we need here.
NO! No half-baked Frankenstein creation melding obsolete and unsupported gear with untried & internationally unique bits welded on thanks. That would be another Seasprite project if there ever was one. New radar or new ADS/B. Don't care which. If existing equipment can be maintained longer in the meantime that is good.
It is obvious that Airservices has not considered the situation where the low level ADS-B mandate does not come in, and we therefore will need to keep the secondary surveillance radars for a much longer period.
Well obviously they have, or they would have just ordered the new ADS/B.