PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job applicants, age, experience.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2008, 06:56
Troglodita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The Hiring Nightmare!

So, along comes a guy with 3000hrs TT, 2800 P1, 50 multi and a fresh IR ticket having worked at only one place.
another applicant has 10000hrsTT, ATPL(H), 8000multi, has worked all over the world, many different types, and for many different companies.

How do these two guys compare?
Answer - with just this amount of information, you cannot make an accurate comparison which is why you interview and make the initial hiring decision based on many other factors. After hiring you need to keep a very close eye on your choice to make certain your decision was the right one.
Just a few of the obvious things that you look at are: -
  • Where was the person trained? Managing to drag yourself through a CPL by your bootstraps is admirable but is no substitute for good quality coherent basic training.
  • Does the CV make sense? - I have seen dozens of CV's claiming incredible academic feats coupled with astounding numbers of flight hours and a whole range of non flying career and character building employment - basic math normally indicates that unless this person gained their ATP at kindergarten it is probably BS.
  • Who do you know that knows them? This is an incredibly small industry and very few people survive without genuine personal recommendation.
  • To contradict the above, take personal recommendations with a pinch of salt until the candidate lives up to their press. We have many misguided people in our industry who are prepared to recommend "nice people" even when they have a dubious flying history. Nobody wants the Epitaph "I was killed by a really nice Chap" - I unfortunately know of several of these.
  • Beware of high timers with a whole raft of previous employers - a number 1 Candidate can often be a much better bet than a number 2 who has never managed to hold any one job for more than a few months before moving on (Or being moved on!) Many small employers just "let people go" who are unsuitable and just ignore reference requests rather than replying with the truth.
  • Risk a few dollars and fly the candidate with an experienced pilot to check that their performance meets their claimed ability - this really does not take long - I was asked to check out an Airforce Chap with a claimed 3000 plus hours - one circuit was enough to ensure he never saw our doorstep again!
  • If the job involves IFR flying - once again do a practical assessment - ignore this to your peril - there are unfortunately hordes of IR holders out in the bad world who really don't have a clue about real procedural IFR - how the can you do a meaningful instrument rating on a Robbie? By all means do initial training on one but come on Aviation Authorities, let's have a sensible assessment before issuing the rating.
  • Finally trust your instincts!
That's enough pontificating for now - I'll go and make a cuppa and wait to be shot down