PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Independent: Pilots ignore alerts over faulty planes
Old 20th Jul 2008, 00:11
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two's in and Full Wings have neatly expressed the situation.

I'll expand a little for the benefit of interested parties:

In all the airlines I've flown for since 1976 (which are very few - actually 3 directly and about 7 or 8 on ACMI - BA and QF being the main carriers I worked directly for) it was (and is) common practice to enter defects back into base where appropriate.

'Where appropriate' means that as the Captain I am not going to ground the aircraft for a defect that can be deferred by a simple signature with a biro - I fly the aircraft back to base and enter the defect on the leg back.

If the defect affects fllight safety it goes into the tech log immediately and the aircraft is grounded.

By not entering the defect that 'does not affect slight safety' into the tech log on the sector that the defect occurs I am tecnically 'breaking the law'. I have discussed this matter with two CAA Flight Ops Inspectors who a)recognise why it happens, and b) understand the need commercially.

The Engineers (I was an LAE) are kicking up a fuss about nothing that has been going on for years. All they may achieve is a rule change that allows these practices. Their fuss may prompt a rule change that allows Captains to make decisions on serviceabily regarding engineering - that would be a backwards step in regard to safety. BE VERY CAREFUL IN WHAT YOU WISH FOR ASI

Regards
Exeng

Last edited by exeng; 20th Jul 2008 at 10:19.