PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed of 747 ????
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2000, 20:37
Old Dog

Anthony2107,

You seem to be quite upset by John Farley's post, but I don't see why you should. You asked:
Another question - are they able to land this giant without the flaps and spoilers without actually putting a scratch on it?

The way this question is being asked, implied your lack of knowledge about flying the B747-400, and probably other airplanes too. If you were a professional pilot, you would already have the answers without having to ask the more knowledgeble pilots. If you are not yet a professional pilot, you should be more polite when the more experienced and knowledgeble ones took the trouble to reply to your queries, regardless whether the reply is to your personal taste. As I see it, JF did not make fun of you. He is quite right to say that stalling speeds by itself is not very meaningful. His explicit explanation should be taken to heart by all junior aviators like you. Whether you like it or not, in aviation, seniority (=experience) does carry a lot of weight.

Flying the B747 is no different from flying other airplanes. Only the details differ.

You posted: I was away on a flight for almost a week, but your profile says you were a software consultant. You didn't say you were also a pilot.

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 22 November 2000).]