PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change from Airlines to Bizjets
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2008, 14:53
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Different people, different expectations...

I did it and have no regret whatsoever but to be fair, I have always wanted to do it. The airlines, although I enjoyed working for a reputable one, never fulffiled me in terms of job satisfaction, variety of destinations, leading edge technology, Pax/Crew relations and more.
It was just a job whereas today, I can say, I am really back in the business of doing what I really like. Sure it's not always easy, sure it's not perfect but it's sure beats the routine I had sunk in.

In my opinion, the receipe for success if you were to make such a move, is:

- You. Do you really want to do it ? How bored are you with what you do ? What are you looking for in this new job ? Direct contact with Pax (nice ones and not so nice one), the fun of being flexible with how the day goes ?
The acceptance that a GA outfit is not always an airline even if it looks like one.

- The outfit you join. Private Ops for one owner with perhaps its limited destinations but a stronger relationship with the owner and its potential, (whatever it might be, financial or else ). Is it a mickey mouse company where SOPs mean nothing to nobody (apart from being the synonym for "nuisance"). Can you live where it suits you (that all important Lifestyle word most of us settled down for), small company = limited number of colleagues ===> Good bunch ?

So if you have time, it might be worth writing a list of all the things you want (only to fly big stuff Vs don't mind small one) or are fed up with (locked door, downgraded product) and answer as many questions by yourself, only to know yourself and your future industry (GA) better.

Not that I had done it in such manner but, the number of ticked boxes in favour of going to GA rather than ending my career on a 73 or perhaps a 787, far outweighed the second option.

So since then, I m really happy at work and at home and would only consider the airlines again if I had no choice.

Like I said, different people, different expectations. I have met mine, try which one really meets yours.

Good luck