PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 19th Jul 2008, 13:26
Bill Sim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age Discrimination

Hi folks.
Just joined the forum and need some help. I'm a 30 yr old SAC(T) Weapons Technician who is in the process of applying for NCA, however, my aspirations lie with commissioned Aircrew. I am aware that I am to old, but after reading the AP on Aircrew selection I have discovered that the Branch Sponsor can waiver things like age limits. Has anyone heard of this? I have spoken to the AFCO and to the OASC prep club on camp and they have all told me there is no chance Cranwell will look at me for pilot, and yet every fast jet jockey I talk to tell me just to apply for it anyway!!! This have left me in a dilema. Do I apply for a position I know I'm not eligable for, making it look like I have not researched the position for which I am applying? Or do I apply for NCA and explain where I would like my career to end up? In the meantime I am training to gain my JAR PPL in the hope that this may lend some weight to a decision to waiver my age. Can anyone shed some light on this as the AFCO and Cranwell or being less than helpful (which does not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling!). Thanks for your time in reading my problem.