PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 19th Jul 2008, 12:19
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Couple of questions:

I don't know how the power is controlled in the V-22, but does the blottle have a trim switch with enough range to "beep one back" to 60% Q?

...Or, is the technology good enough now that the computers can manage such a big split in available power?

Did they pull the bad one back to idle? (I'd bet real money they did.)

Okay, so given the fact that they say they could not maintain level flight, and they say they couldn't make it back to base, and they say that they made a normal vertical landing, there is only one conclusion that can be made.

Someone is lying.

Deliberately? Probably.

We don't know the real story and probably won't ever. The Marines won't ever admit anything bad about their beloved V-22.

Two other interesting tidbits. I love the way Trautman says that the V-22 engines are performing "about as well" as other helicopter engines. That's pretty coy. (Hey Trautman, got that overhaul interval up to 500 hours yet?) But then Ryan tells us they have only 70% availability on any given day??? Jeez, what's causing all the downtime? Only 65 hours per month (2.1 per day) and 10:1 maintenance to flight, huh? Suuuuuuure. The numbers don't add up. Is MD or EADS supplying the spare parts? What's the problem with availability?

And hey, go back to the video hosted on Eacott's site.

1:08 Love the barrel roll!
1:12 The XV-3! Shades of 1960!
2:56 Check out the dusty landing by a single V-22. Yikes! Holy downwash, Batman!

Sometimes I think that people are in love with the V-22 because it just looks so damn cool and impressive. But you know what? That ain't enough, folks.