PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2008, 04:09
Loiter1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not only a sound economy (for now anyway) that keeps Gen Y away, but also the restructuring that is occuring in the airline world (Restructuring is managementspeak for reducing conditons). There is always a fair percentage of wannabe RAAF pilots who either plan on doing ROSO and leaving or are unsure of what they want to do after ROSO. Gen Y is not stupid and are now thinking the whole being a pilot as a job thing is a bad idea. Gen Y is much more aware of long term career prospects than Gen X and older were at the same age. I suspect they would now rather become a manager, make lots of money and then fly your arse off on the weekend when you aren't playing with your other toys. I can see their logic.

On the get more out of less vs ROSO. Just before I left the holy grail of the conversion squadrons was to reduce training time so as to get more out of someone before they turned into a pumpkin at the end of ROSO. That was when Binskin was the Air Commander of the month, so now that he is CAF I would expect even more impetus behind that idea. Personally and quite selfishly, I hope they don't fix the problem too soon. That way when I return to Oz it won't be too hard to come by some decent reserve work