PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change from Airlines to Bizjets
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2008, 02:47
envoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I cannot comment on pay/locations/etc in your part of the world. Best I leave that to others with the knowledge in that regard.

What I can comment on is the attitude you might need to consider. I fly corporate with an experienced ex-airline pilot, and he is a fine operator. I once asked him if there was anyone he had worked with in the airlines that he would recommend for a job in corporate. His answer was a resounding NO.

His rationale was that a lot of airline pilots get too comfortable with the well-supported airline ways, and would find the corporate way of working too far out of their comfort zone. In corporate, you are very much reliant on team effort and there is overlap in effort, if not in responsibilities. Often, you are left to your own devices when getting the job done.

On further discussion, we concluded that it came down to attitude - if you come in to corporate with the attitude that doing a thorough walkaround is the engineer's job, or that helping the FA wash the dishes at the end of the flight is beneath you, or that hauling suitcases on a hot tarmac is not your job then you will find corporate difficult to deal with.

This is not intended in any negative sense: rather, as friendly advice that before contemplating such a change you should have no illusions that operating corporate is not all beer and skittles!

IMHO the job satisfaction in corporate far outweighs that in the airlines...

I hope this post can help you in some way.