PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 19th Jul 2008, 02:19
KrisRamJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I see it, it could work both ways - on one hand there will almost certainly be less flying because it will become more expensive, on the other hand, the offshore business will continue to grow due to investment in the deep water stuff. Helicopter operating costs are less affected by fuel than FW ops because it's a smaller % of our total costs (high maintenance, insurance, etc works in our favour.)

I was at Bristows Academy from March 05 to March 06. As far as beginning training is concerned, be 100% sure in your mind that you want to do this because it's a real battle. First you have the anguish of all the tests and checkrides during your training. When you've worked your heart out and completed your training you have the battle of trying to get your first CFI job. Some of my friends took several months to find their first job, and that really ate into their J-1 visas, and their self-confidence.

Once you have landed your first job CFI'ing then you have a very intensive year of students trying to kill you, and then when you reach the 'magic' 1000 hours (and qualify for an entry level turbine job) you have another battle getting a job flying turbines.

Add to this the fact that you are being tested all the time - if you have a bad day in this job your career is over - you could have a student or employer putting pressure on you to fly in marginal weather, you could have miscalculated your fuel burn, you could simply have a mechanical problem that isn't even your fault... there's so many ways these things can get you it's bewildering.

So there's a lot of downsides to this game.

On the other hand, when the weather is nice and the flying is easy, it's about as close as you can get to the best job in the world...

If you love flying, just do it.