PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Des Brown - Armed Forces Covenant
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 23:34
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sh%t hit the fan...

Slightly off topic, but look at tomorrows times...

Taxpayer can bear no more, admits Alistair Darling - Times Online

It turns out NO government departments,nil,nada,ziltch will be getting any more extra cash FOR ANY REASON until the next election...

Taxpayers are at the limit of what they are willing to pay to fund public services, the Chancellor has said in an interview with The Times.
In his gloomiest assessment yet of the state of the British economy, Alistair Darling gave warning that the downturn was far more profound than he had thought and could last for years rather than months.
He revealed that he told Cabinet ministers this week that there would be no more money for schools, hospitals, defence, transport or policing.
He confirmed that the Treasury was considering revising its fiscal rules to allow more borrowing to deal with the economic problems. He said that he did not believe that voters, already struggling with higher food and fuel bills, would be willing to pay more tax.

“People will pay their fair share but you can’t push that,” he said. “My judgment at the moment is that there are a lot of people in this country who feel they work hard, they make their contribution and they’re feeling squeezed. Every Chancellor has to be very conscious of the fact that there’s a balance to be struck between how much you can spend and how much people will say, ‘OK, if you’ve got another pound to spend remember me as well’.”
I am guessing here, but if there are going to be any exceptions, defence wont be it...

Cheers Labour, you have managed to destroy a once stable economy, sell off our gold, sell us out to europe, get us into a humongous debt hole whilst we now face the worst recession since 1929...

Not bad for 10 years work...

If things are that bad, how can they justify fighting wars on two fronts whilst the treasury doesnt even have 2 pennies to rub together? Perhaps its time we came home?