PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Douglas DC-2 Restoration
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 23:28
The Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 3 left in Australia , mine is VH-CDZ the only one Syd Marshal manager to operate after the war. It was originally delivered to KNILM in Jakarta , escaped the Japanese and was taken into the combined services transport squadron during the war then on to ANA . It was sold off to Syd Marshal wo also bought a bunch of other DC-2's from the military. These were all ex Eastern Airlines ships that the Govt purchased from the USA at the start of the war. Syd was prohibited by the govt from operating these but he did fly CDZ on charter and Joy flights as "Marshall Airways".

There are 3 DC2's left in Australia. One is at Morrabbin Aircraft Museum (1292), one is at Albury as a memorial to Uiver (1260 i think) , and mine. The Albury ship is the oldest Douglas commercial (DC series) aircraft in the world , but its just a corroded shell , having say on poles for the past 30 years.

I am not sure which ship was at the Oaks , 1288 used to be in Australia but was sold some years ago to the Dutch Dakota association. CDZ did move around quite a bit over the past 50+ years (by road !) so it may have been there .

Cheers Steve