PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT Question(s)
Thread: RT Question(s)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 21:58
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes TRAs are another way of doing it and perhaps that is what the military pilots would want to have, but airspace constraints mean they have to make do with a NOTAM instead.

In my experience AAIAs (I'm thinking of the Vale of York and areas around Lincolnshire) have plenty of transiting and general handling military traffic, but not so much high energy manoeverings. IE they can generally comply with the rules of the air. The NOTAM'd airspace seems to always end with "may not be able to comply with rules of the air". Which could mean all sorts. By that token, a radar service is not much use since the controller may not be talking to the military traffic and therefore have no idea what they are about to do. Even if they are talking to them, the things move so fast the controller is not likely to have time to sort out deconfliction. I have been in the scenario of being at 1500' being warned of military traffic indicating FL460 (yes I do mean 46 THOUSAND feet) in my x o'clock range x miles. And that is a real pain when you are receiving a RAS, are carrying minimum fuel and are in IMC.

I really wish the military fast jets had some form of TCAS, but they don't. They are the single most scarey thing about flying in certain parts of this country.