PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Depression/Stress -- Don't talk about it to your doctor or a psychiatrist.
Old 18th Jul 2008, 14:23
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The thread title suggests that pilots violate the air regulations when seeing their aviation medical examiner. Personally, I would never make such suggestions, not even on an anonumous forum.

To put this in the proper context, I'd like to add a couple of quotes from the same Aviation Safety Letter article:

While major depression exists, we consider the pilot unfit.
Also:

... anyone taking these medications should be aware of the wide array of potential side effects. While most of the effects are of little significance, a small number of pilots may experience some serious alterations in thinking, mood, judgment and personality. Of even greater concern is the possibility that these effects may go unrecognized by the pilot.
I have seen literature that suggests there has been an increase in the number of suicides by patients taking some SSRIs. I can think of some other substances that can cause similar side effects to those quoted in the ASL article, such as alcohol, cocaine, heroin and many others. Are we suggesting that we allow pilots to fly while under the influence of these substances? I certainly hope not. If you or someone you know has been negatively affected by this policy, then all I can say is I hope you'll take solace in the fact that there is a "road back" to flying at the end of a successful treatment program. I'd be more than happy to share the name of a couple of doctors I know who are excellent in providing support for pilots who are suffering through situations such as depression and addiction. I can provide them via a private message with no questions asked.

Please try to remember that Transport Canada's mission is to provide a safe transportation system for Canadians. If I'm a member of the travelling public, I want to hear that they've put policies in place such as those that restrict pilots suffering from depression, addiction and other afflictions that can negatively effect cognitive ability.

I also want to remind folks that the regulations require us to tell our aviation physician about all medications we're taking. They also require us to remove ourselves from duty if there is any question as to our fitness to do the job safely. Personally, I would not want to take the chance of leaving my family with the legacy of knowing that I flew when I knew I shouldn't have, and that I caused an accident that harmed others partly because I didn't remove myself from duty.

FWIW

Jeff

Last edited by J.O.; 18th Jul 2008 at 14:52.