PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 JFK LHR fastest times?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:59
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Seloco, yes, that was 'Exercise Pup', when Jim Uprichard flew non-stop UK-Australia. There were 2 refuelling brackets, one in the Eastern Mediterranean (from a VC10K) and the other in the Indian Ocean (from a TriStar).

I was the captain of the supporting VC10K which did the first bracket. We'd pre-positioned in VC10K3 ZA149at Akrotiri beforehand, having checked the centreline hose over the English Channel on the way. I'd also spoken to the special frequency assignment people at Bampton Castle to sort out an HF frequency for the RV. We would be crewing in at Akrotiri at around 0-dark-00 local time and they would be somewhere over France. So some obscure 2 MHz-ish frequency was obtained and given to Jim's co-pilot, JF.

We crewed in as planned and listended for their call. Sure enough, exactly on time we heard their call. JF had one of those "This'll never work, but I suppose I'd better try to show willing" tones to his voice and was astonished to hear our respnse! We started up, had a couple of snags on start which I was prepared to take - then 'Lofty' our Air Engineer did some piece of wizardry which coaxed whatever it was back into life. So off we taxyed, needing to depart on the Easterly runway. Which was a bit of a shame as a Royal VC10 was parked by the terminal with Prince Charles on board on his way back from talking to the trees in Africa.

A full power take-off (sorry, your Highness!) at 0200Z, then down to APLON, RASDA, OTIKO and a right turn at El Daba up W727 to the RV Datum between KANAR and METRU. Knowing out boss as we did, the last thing he was going to be was late, so we'd anticipated that and after another HF call soon had him on UHF and TACAN. Our RV Bravo worked out fine and Jim made contact first time in his usual manner. We crept the speed up slowly until we were going as fast as we dared, watching some 40 tonnes of fuel going into his jet.

As we crossed El Daba again, we asked how much more gas he'd need. "Just keep pumping" came the reply - until eventually all their tanks were full. As soon as he disconnected, we turned gently away so that he didn't need to slow down, then watched as he hurtled off across Egypt.

We were cleared from Fayoum to Cairo, back to RASDA and APLON. Just in time for the first APC wave to carry out a practice intercept and an accompanied run-in-and-break at Akrotiri!

Then a day in the sun and, of course, a kebab on the strip before waiting to hear news of their landing in Australia back at the Officers' Mess. Which, of course, we then toasted in Keo. Next day we pottered off to Palermo for the night, then home on the 10th. All carefully timed to claim 2 lunch allowances at Palermo, of course! This was in the days of fun, long before the days of mean-minded bean counters, otherwise we'd have had to fly home 12 hours after landing on the 8th, no doubt.