PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2008, 20:06
Gary Lager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverknapper - that isn't what I meant; if you are unstable at 500' and don't notice (why? how?) until 400', GO-AROUND.

If you have reason to continue and land knowingly unstable beow 500', then there'd better be a very good reason indeed - i.e. where to go-around would result in compromising the safety of the aircraft (e.g. severe weather/fuel exhaustion/imminent security breach of flight deck etc etc).

Ultimately, as with any command decision, you'd have to be prepared to stand up in front of the BOI/Management and justify your action. "I thought it'd be alright" is not adequate...!

We all know that two trainers decided to ignore the go-around call from their f/o, are they still employed or are they still training? Take a guess.
So they should be sacked? Or should context/history/outcome of the de-brief be taken into account and the chaps who erred allowed to continue flying, wiser for their experience? Take a guess. How do we know that hadn't already happened once or more times in the case of the pilot in question?

No actual facts concerning this incident have appeared on here, just people assuming either innocence or guilt, and nerds talking about descent speeds. Until we know the background, no conclusions can be drawn. I have taken exception at the (unfounded) criticism of FDR safety monitoring systems.

I know that the next negligent decision I take could result in losing my job or worse - and I accept that responsibility along with my salary.