PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did you do before becoming a pilot?? To pay for it?
Old 10th Jul 2001, 17:45
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mowed lawns

Army Reserve for 3 years. My commanding officer was very helpful & authorised me to do the maximum allowable paid days / year. He even 'found' things for me to do. Pretty well covered my PPL expenses & was a deciding factor in my bank manager's decision to give me a loan to get my CPL. My loan totalled A$8000 to get from PPL to CPL + Class 4 Instrument Rating (aka Night VFR rating).

The unemployment or student benefits depending on whether I was between jobs or was studying full time. My CPL theory course meant I had to go on to student benefits even though it meant a reduction in income from the dole! Used some of my loan to live on & make the loan repayments.

Factory production line making folders & clipboards

Small-ish supermarket assistant then manager. My parents had bought the place as a semi-retirement thing, got bored & went off to study at university.

Truck driver (thank you Mr Army for giving me a truck licence!). Paid for my initial multi-engine endorsment.

3 years as a student nurse then subsequently a registered nurse. When I trained, nursing training was done entirely within a hospital & you were paid a wage + shift, weekend & public holidy penalty rates. My nursing was/is in the specialty area of mental health.

During my 1st year of nursing training I was able to pay off the last A$5000 of my CPL loan, save half of my IR & get another loan for A$3000 to fund the rest of my IR. My 2nd & 3rd years paid off my IR loan & saved enough to pay for a couple of IR renewals & my instructor rating.

Now nursing keeps me fed when I'm not flying for a living.