PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ratio of operational time overseas and time at home
Old 17th Jul 2008, 15:16
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Not as lucky as some though ..... just ask the E3s

But as I said in my original post - that's actual time sitting in the desert and it could be higher depending on how the det plot pans out next year. The only thing predictable about the ops plot these days is that it will change from the original plan and someone will end up getting a short straw.

However, you have missed the other bits I mentioned: exercises away from home, being on call where you cannot be more than X-minutes from work (usually 30 - 60, but possibly less) which means you could quite easily end up sitting by the phone like a love-sick teenager waiting for a call when you can't go to the family wedding at the other end of the country, or your plans for a romantic Christmas away with Mrs TG get put on hold because you are at R1 notice to move etc.

Don't just think about things in terms of how much time you are away on ops, you need to look at it in the round. Even RW crews will spend proportionately more of their time ' in the UK' than on 'direct ops' in the desert. But it doesn't meant their life is their own for the rest of the time. You need to take into account the duty crews, exercises in some soggy bit of Wales, ferrying Pongos round Germany for 3 weeks whilst they get ready to go away, being on Q-shifts etc. And that goes for whatever fleet you end up on.