PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2008, 14:04
docash1983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAR Class 1 visual standards question

Hi guys and girls,

My apologies for this rather lengthy post. I’ve recently been to the opticians and these are my results. The optometrist did explain the results too me but had an old copy of the CAA requirements. About two years ago I was 6/5 in both eyes however I was told I have become a little short sighted, and my vision has deteriorated in my right eye and I am worried this may become a problem for hopefully getting a class 1 in order to get onto an integrated course for which I am due to sit the interview and tests next month. My main concern is how the AME down at Gatwick will view these results, and how he/she will be likely to determine any further deterioration in the future regarding the issuing of a JAA Class 1, although the optometrist did state that he is hoping that it is unlikely to get any worse if at all. The results are as follows and I would appreciate your comments as I am wondering how the AME will see these results.

Unaided:

Right 6/9 -1

Left 6/6 -3

Unaided together overall 6/6 – 1

Aided:

6/5 Both left and Right

Below are the new CAA regulations so that you don’t have to go looking through the CAA website.

Your visual acuity (measured by your ability to see, in this case, lines of letters on a chart at 6 metres) must be at least 6/9 in each eye separately and 6/6 using both eyes together, with or without glasses or contact lenses (correction). If you need correction the refractive error (the amount of correction) must not exceed +5.00 dioptres of long sight or -6.00 dioptres of short sight. This is in the most ametropic meridian (taking into account any astigmatism). Astigmatism must not exceed 2.00 dioptres. The difference in correction between each eye (anisometropia) must not be more than 2.00 dioptres. Your optometrist will be able to explain these terms.

Thank-you very much for your comments.

Docash1983