PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2008, 06:24
[email protected]

Received 655 Likes on 289 Posts
DECU fault - most of my list already exists on the Sea King; the 360 degree radar (330 ish but close enough and discussed on other threads), Emergency Lube system on the MRGB has been in use for years (nothing on S92) and HUMS is already fitted to 70% of the aircraft (the rest by the end of 09 I think) and incorporates a CVFDR.

The sat tracking has apparently been sanctioned for this year's underspend (although we still have HF unlike the S92) and, whilst a dual hoist would be nice, we do carry an emergency electrical hoist which I don't think has ever needed to be used in anger yet.

The Vd for the Sea King is 157kts reduced by a factor of 1.1 to give a Vne of 145kts - we can't fly the aircraft to this limit because the Military Aircraft Release limits us to 127kts max. Most of the aircraft would shake themselves to bits long before they got to 145 but that is where the Carson blades come in, especially if properly paired with the S61 head (non folding and with a bi-filar vibration absorber) - the MAR could be adjusted with permission of the Design Authority, AW, since it is in their interest to do so.

I am not saying it is a perfect solution - we would all like shiny new toys but when faced with budgetary constraints and the opportunity to keep AW afloat for another few years, which way do you think the Govt might go?