PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2008, 17:57
Gary Lager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the 'veteran' airman was fired because the safety tool did its job?

As has been mentioned on here, this does not appear to have been an isolated incident. If so, then the system would appear to work. I have been a 'victim' of FDM - and whilst it seems an intimidating process at first, I discovered the attitude within EZY to be constructive and focussed on training, not punishment - but I was left in no doubt what the outcome would be if violations are persistent or negligent. (My incident was high speed below 500', but during a low go-around with flap problems - FDM didn't tell the whole story and our report was an adequate resolution)

There is no way that any EZY pilot could claim ignorance of the emphasis which the company puts on the stablised approach criteria, especially if they had already experienced the 'system'. There is always the option to go-around at 500' - if not, then one is already at a point where a MAYDAY call should be considered. To all those who have remarked that avoiding a go-around even though 'a little bit' unstable saves fuel (and hence costs) - EZY is not the only company receiving a massive insurance premium reduction on the basis of the 500' policy, and associated proven flight safety benefits.

If it is recognised, as by some folks on here, that Flap 3 approaches are often a little more 'slippery', then surely the answer is a no-brainer: plan to begin configuring earlier (with advice to ATC if under proessure to keep high speed - I have never had any grief from ATC by giving them timely notice of extra track miles or speed reductions required, even in France!). Some of the posts on here crying 'airmanship' or going on about the divine right of the pilot to ignore a clear, safe, straightforward company policy smack more of ego than an attempt to operate in the safest possible manner.

I will keep my aircraft safe, but once that is achieved - it's not my train set, and I will operate how I am required to by my boss.

(btw, don't our training dept and management get some credit for their 'experience', in the same way that this individual is assumed innocent because of his?)