PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrible Road Accident Rate in the UAE.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2008, 14:38
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the original is still in the PPrune archives. Perhaps someone a bit more computer literate than I am could find it and post the URL here.

Or better yet, Danny might be convinced to surrender a bit of bandwidth and re-instate the Humour Page.

Re-reading 'The Caravan' today, I'm amazed at its timelessness. Delete Ozmates and insert Seppos and it could have been written two weeks ago (although with McDonald Douglas now gone, 'Parmbeich sur Mer' [Palm Beach by the Sea] might require translation for the young'uns.) Ceeaddlewash and Wun-twoloose are still with us, as are the Parkhir bin Phen tribe.

And of course, Marcel Hard Sell and we cameleers:
“Marcelhardcel of Wun-twoloose saith that first the rider must learneth the many devious ways of the beast.”

“But how dost he learneth these ways?”

“There beith men who canst teacheth our young warriors these mysteries. They art knownst as cameleers.”

“Dost thou speaketh of the rabble who leadest the beasts of the foreigners’ caravans?”

“Verily, Sire.”

“But… but to a man, they seemith a rowdy, ill-bred caste who causeth no end of trouble. Whilst their camels resteth, dost they not frequenth only the lowliest sherbet stands and pursueth maidens of the illest repute?”

“That beist so, Sire. It beith widely said that in any city along the far-flung caravan routes, should a stranger follow a cameleer, he willst surely findeth the cheapest sherbet and comely maidens of the lowliest kind.”

“And thou sayest these devilish foreign cameleers be needeth here, to live amongst our people in Knoteetinghamm?”

“Yea, Sire, but only until they have shown our own young warriors the ways of the camel.”