PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STOVL F35's for RAN???
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2008, 03:41
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
The issue isn't how many strike sorties could be generated from a ship off Dili. It is how to counter the 40+ Indon aircraft that would have been coming your way if we had have struck targets around Dili.
It is an issue in certain realistic scenarios. And just having shipborne fighters can prove a deterrence in some operations the ADF may face.

40+ Indon fighters? To operate, maintain, train and co-ordinate in wartime, such a large force would involve serious national investment by Indonesia. They are unlikely to have those funds in the medium term.

China caused a hoo-hah recently. The managed to co-ordinate a regiment sized force of fighters for the first time with early 90's style Western command and control.

So realistic numbers please. And Dili and Fiji were just geographic examples- 1) Land based air in range 2) land based air not in range

6-12 aircraft on 1-2 ships makes that ship a floating target
These ships will always be targets. But they move. And with overlapping capabilities and weaponary they will give Australia a very effec tive expeditionary capability in the region.

If JSF works buy it. And buy long range land attack misslies for the fleet and submarines too.

(much like tanks... but I digress).
Armor saves infantry lives.

And as you are not as proponent of VTOL naval fighters you would be relying on scout helicopters for air support of Australian troops when land based air too far away or too slow to react due distance?

Attack helicopters are proving to be the most vulnerable assets in recent conflicts. Far more so than main battle tanks.

positive visual ID necessary before being able to shoot thus negating the Stealth capability.
So our air warfare destroyers will have to wait to visually ID an aggressor? Doesn't make sense to me.

If an air warfare destroyer can shoot beyond visual range, so could a JSF I gather.