PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Half of the Armed Forces considering quitting!
Old 15th Jul 2008, 20:57
Op_Twenty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle, you seem to have done a few years - what's your opinion of life in the Service at the moment. Would you still recommend to a son or daughter? I think a lot of these chaps are correct to say that morale is very low with little faith in command. I'm in my tenth year and will probably leave early at 12 years. I am apprehensious of civvie life but, short of being in the field in Afghanistan or Iraq, I don't see many more challenges in my flying career. I told my flight commander that I had no real idea of what I wanted to do next - an exchange tour is all that remotely interests me. That might sound harsh to a lot of chaps on here but I flew just short of 900 hrs on my first tour (the equivalent to 3 tours back in the day apparently), 2 tours over Iraq and every flag ex & euro equivalent you can shake a small stick at. To return to the front line means I do it all again - albeit teaching the younger guys which is exactly what I do now. I am disenchanted with the Service, especially at Command level, but am still happy to go to work at the moment - in 2 years time, I know that I won't be. I'm interested in your opinion if that's not too much trouble - thanks.