PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 19:41
Tokunbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GMIA,

I know about the 3 who left earlier in the year, the one who quit last month and the 2 new guys - is there another now as well? Is it HR who have asked for a pay review just days after it should all have been completed? Nothing surprises me any more. Too many companies run by guys in sharp suits all with the gelled hair, warm smiles MBAs and absolutely no people skills or CDF Whatever happened to the personnel managers we used to have who actually knew the people with whose fate they were dealing. Naturally these HR geniuses are accountable to nobody and have the gift only of expanding their own empires and importance. The people who stay on at Eket have to struggle with the increasing workload imposed by these mental pygmies every day, while they sit around in their comfortable, air-conditioned offices drinking real coffee, making sure they get a good lunch break in the (subsidised) staff canteen . I pity the new MD, he's going to find it hard to get a good profit-related bonus with an operation which will be incapable of operating soon. Engineering shortages are even more critical than pilot shortages right now and an 'initiative' telling personnel they have to wait yet again, at the same time as new threats are issued against expatriates and governments issue warnings to their nationals to leave the Niger delta area, serve yet again to prove to many that their services are not really valued, in fact the statement by Richard Burman already mentioned on this thread, merely shows that the senior managers believe that the services of personnel in Nigeria are over-valued. It's interesting to note that several of the pilots who have quit have done so to go to Abu Dhabi Aviation, despite the money being less and the accommodation worse than in Eket. It seems that there are quite a number of job vacancies now in Angola, especially with their oil output now exceeding that of Nigeria. It seems that Eket is getting close to the point at which normal service will not be resumed as soon as possible, but there's no rush is there, it's just pilots and engineers and they're ten a penny - why I juts bet that management has had to reinforce their desks to withstand the weight of the applications of adequately qualified personnel willing to go to Nigeria