PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-200F down in Bogota ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 16:05
L-38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting pacplyer . . . a lot can be learned from this.

I am also curious as to if the FE's seat had failed during the extreme stresses of that crash landing. Our FE would have been locked front and center with the pilots, yet he is reported to have suffered the most.

Also, I have always wondered on how useless a crash ax would be if needed. I was absolutely amazed at our crew's success of picking through the thickly laminated L1 windscreen (note the pictured failed attempt on the L-2).

. .While attending a ground school at Flying Tigers many years ago, I recall that they had an old DC-8 windscreen set on wooden blocks behind the mx hangar. Anyone with their nose out of joint was welcomed to have a go at it with it's accompanied sledge hammer. . . .During many years of abuse, that windscreen was proven to be most indestructible.

Whatever works, but I would suspect that an easier go would be to use the ax on the aircraft's interior skin like a can opener. I have always wanted to try that, however I have absolutely no clue as to it's difficulty!