PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 15:48
NurseToPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LASIK - Successful

I know that there is a vision thread however its absolutely huge and talks about everything so has become difficult to find stuff in!

I posted a while back about Lasik surgery to gain class one and almost all responses were "DONT DO IT" as the CAA do not approve.

My Prescription was:

RIGHT EYE
SPH +2.0
CYL -3.75
AXIS 22.5

LEFT EYE
SPH -1.25
CYL -0.25
AXIS 10

Everybody were commenting on the fact that the CAA would not allow me to pass a medical if i went ahead and did the Lasik

I was in a catch 22 situation where by if i did not have it done i would not get a medical based on the Px above and if i DID have it done I might still fail simply because I'd had it done!

When i had originally failed the medical due to the above px i asked about Lasik and was told 'off the record' that I could in theory have the right eye zapped in the hope it would bring me within limits but that was not guarantee that I would get my medical.

I went away depressed and upset that I had failed but tried to be positive that there must be something i could do about it.

I started my research - and in fact researched ALL aspects of laser refractive surgery in depth (took 13 months in all) and finally i decided to do it.

Everything was uncomplcated and successful from the optometrist point of view - now all i had to do was persuade the CAA that it was ok so i booked a medical class 1 appointment 3 months after surgery which was 26th June and nervously attended.

Thankfully and nice of the CAA they did my Class 1 as a RENEWAL as I'd already passed all the other tests last year except for the EYES.....

I was very nervous when the lady was testing my vision - it was the longest half an hour i've ever endured - she said I had PASSED one part of the eye test but due to lasik had to have a contrast sensitivity test as well which i had to wait an hour for the machine to warm up before i completed it.....

I'm pleased to say that i HAVE PASSED MY CLASS 1 MEDICAL and am now the holder of a JAA CLASS 1 CERTIFICATE with NO RESTRICTIONS / DEVIATIONS

MY NEW POST SURGERY PRESCRIPTION IS AS FOLLOWS

RIGHT EYE
SPH +0.00
CYL -0.50
AXIS 90

LEFT EYE
SPH +0.25
CYL +0.00
AXIS 0

And i achieve 6/5 Unaided bilateral on Snellens Chart or 6/6 RIGHT 6/5 LEFT if done individually however nobody would fly one eye closed!!!

I hope other readers find comfort and hope in my experience and contact me if they require further information

I am a NURSE (as my name here suggests) that worked in Ophthalmology prior to going for my medical therefore I've got an "all round" knowledge of eyes as well as my own personal research into REFRACTIVE SURGERY

PLEASE CONTACT ME if you want further advice.

Please note that it will be advice and information ONLY and not an encouragement to have it done. It is entirely up to the individual concerned whether they have it done or not and they must weigh up the pros and cons of all aspects of surgery as all surgery carries risks.

thanks

JONATHAN