PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carcass on RWY 28 Dublin Airport
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 13:21
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go around is always the best option.

I VERY VERY much doubt bones from anything would puncture a tyre. I am the proud owner of one of those dunkin dunlops that you would find on 73/757 (same tyre) (and no, before you think it, I am not a sad enthusiast, I used to be an instructor and it was a training aid). The tyre has a nominal tread depth which the layman would probably measure in cm or inches not mm. Even at the sidewall (the thinnest part), the thickness is still much greater than the thickest part of the heaftiest car tyres I have ever seen.

I would suspect the greatest risk comes from ingestion into the engine - the go-around will always be cheaper than a new engine and down-time.

I once remember crossing the threshold at a GA field when a hunt of several dogs and horses crossed the threshold ahead of me. No fatalities so MOL missed out on the free catering.

Call100 good point about the extra birds ripping the poor dead thing apart - I remember once winding up in the middle of a flock on rollout, I still have no idea how we avoided ingesting any of them.

Last edited by Romeo India Xray; 15th Jul 2008 at 13:28. Reason: Response to call100