PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Flying Lancaster?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 12:11
Captain Airclues
Just another number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year I went for a taxi ride in NX611. It was an amazing experience. As the engines were brought up to 2000rpm you where able to feel what it must have been like for those young airmen many years ago.
The museum at East Kirkby is one of the finest in the country. They have recreated a WW11 bomber airfield, with 'Just Jane' as the main attraction. Some of the museum staff had concerns about getting her flying as any serious incident could mean the closure of the museum if 'Just jane' was written off. This view was stated by one of the Panton brothers in the video that I bought at the museum.
Hundeds of people a year have the unique opportunity to ride inside a Lancaster and experience the emotion that four Merlins at close quaters brings. Would it not be better to keep it that way? I would feel differently if there were no airworthy Lancs, but it seems to me that we have the best of both worlds at the moment.
What do you think?

Dave

PS. Off for another NX611 taxi ride on 23/7 thanks to Mrs A's generous birthday present.

Last edited by Captain Airclues; 15th Jul 2008 at 13:57. Reason: to correct a typo