PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Layoffs?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 11:29
Nightfire

Forget it!
I had a look at them about one year ago. The interview was just a chat over a cup of coffee where we discussed tax-issues and questions about the contract. The sim-evaluation was a take-off, engine failure, ILS-approach, go around, one more approach and land.
Anybody can do that, and it might tell you something about their standards.

Good things about Jet Airways:
- Relaxed atmosphere. People seem to be friendly and approachable.
- New aircraft (but then: Every 777 in the world is still almost new)
- They own their own simulators and offer you to use them at your discretion, if you wish, for some extra sessions. This is probably the best thing to say about Jet.
- No questions asked about how you are going to leave your present employer, no letters needed, just come and fly. They take care of the rest.
- You can live almost anywhere you like in Europe; you commute at their expenses to and from BRX or LHR.

Bad things to say about it:
- Some information on their website is just to attract applicants but they draw back later, when you ask them about it. So be careful, and ask about everything you want to know.
- Salary is medium; you'll get what you may expect aywhere else, too.
- Very short contract (two years only), with totally uncertain future for renewal. See other threads about expat pilots in India. The last thing you'll want to happen is to be left standing on the road in the middle of the next worldwide recession.
- If you're a first officer: No upgrading ever.
- Looking at the dirty, cheap and basic office building, you don't really build up confidence. It's low-cost in every way you can imagine.
- Very long rotations. If I remember right, it's about 11 days or so (but not sure). Anyway, it was long enough to make me dislike it more.

Nothing special about this company; there may be worse ones, but this one is definitely a job for mercenaries. If you have some dark history in your career and can't join any other decent place, then go ahead and take it.

If you are not type-rated, they won't take you.
If you are, you can find something better.

Last edited by Nightfire; 15th Jul 2008 at 11:42.