PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces in Afghanistan 'for years'
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 10:22
ExGrunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread from all points.

@ OP

I doubt that anyone with real knowlege of COIN (or whatever it is called these days) is surprised. If we are to succeed in AFG we will need to be there for at least as long as we were in Malaya. But frankly given the additional issues of co-ordinating a coalition, relations with the host nation and the influence of the drugs trade you are looking to a commitment closer to the duration of Op Banner.

@ TOFO

It might not have been terribly well presented, but KIT does have a point about the standards of leadership. It seems to me that you can only get up the greasy pole these days by buying into the party line. A better response might be to help sort the wheat from the chaff of his posts rather than an all out attack.

@ KIT

Equally TOFO has a valid point about education. It is no use whinging. I studied for my civie qualifications between foot patrols in NI, there will never be enough time. You have four years to prepare to leave (or less if you get really hacked off). Once the gate closes behind you the forces forget you pretty much immediately. Outside no-one will give a flying f##k what you have done for the last 22 years unless you can contribute to the profits of the business. Ultimately the only person looking after your interests is you.

EG