PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2008, 05:02
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DL-EDI
Since this seems to be the case on most types, what would you suggest?
I'm not 'making suggestions,' DL-EDI; as I said earlier, I'm trying to assess the available facts and establish all the possibilities.

In light of the fact that only one out of ten spoiler panels was deployed when the aeroplane crashed, and the further information that the First Officer made the spoiler call on the basis of an instrument reading and not from direct observation, we now have to add in another possibility.

Namely that the ground spoilers did not in fact deploy.

Originally Posted by DL-EDI
How long do investigations into major accidents normally take?
As far as briefings on the progress of investigations, the known facts, and the general lines of enquiry being pursued are concerned, usually no time at all.

The information in the CVR and the FDR, and all other details of what the aeroplane and the crew actually DID, is usually published as soon as it is available.

Announcements as to 'probable causes' vary a lot, since the investigators don't always have enough information on a given accident. But in a straightforward case like this (where all data has been recovered, the aeroplane didn't burn or crash in the sea, the accident was in daylight, and one of the pilots survived) I'd say that six to eight weeks is about typical.

Sure, the formal report (which has to be argued through exhaustively with the lawyers representing all the parties involved) will probably take years to finalise.

But I for one cannot recall a case where absolutely NO factual information has been released six weeks after the event; except for an 'unofficial,' heavily 'doctored' CVR transcript, and an 'unattributed' mention of pilot error.

It is, however, significant (to me anyway) that they've re-opened Toncontin to Cat. C and D traffic. That presumably means that neither the airport nor the runway was to blame. Which only leaves pilot error or some sort of malfunction as 'possible causes.'

There's a cover-up going on, all right. The only question is how long they can keep it up.