PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About EY and EK
Thread: About EY and EK
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 23:32
W Weasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metallicapilot:

Buenos Dias Mi Amigo!

You were really jumped on by others here in the UAE that did not take the time to truly read and attempt to understand what you meant. There is that problem here with native and non-native English speakers assuming (ass – u – me) things and that is something you will have to deal with should you decided to come.

To answer your question, yes it is quite expensive to live in the UAE, especially Dubai, with inflation running in the double digits for some time now. One of the local problems is the peg of the dirham (the local money) to the US dollar. It has created hyper-inflation for some nationals with people having to spend a very large percentage of their money to exist here and not being able to send home what they use to.

Having said that, I believe you come from North America – Mexico – and that should not be as big a problem for you as with Europeans (Euro/British Pound, Aussies, South Africans and Indian Subcontinent workers.)

Yes there are Mexican pilots here – a personal friend is a former Mexicana pilot. There are also a large number of Columbian, European Spanish, Portuguese from Macau and Portugal and Brazilian pilots as well. Not to worry you will be able to speak Spanish (many of the Portuguese guys speak Spanish too) whenever you want. Heck my F/O yesterday was a Russian who is engaged to a Mexican from Ixtapa.

It is highly likely, for any pilot, to find a fellow national working here in the Middle East if not in the UAE directly.

Burners and Out