PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed forces 'get free education'
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 20:12
mckelvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Service personnel are to be given university education free of charge after they end their duty with the armed forces, it has been reported."

BBC News report - 12 Jul 08

Now, I wonder what the catch will be with this? If this is a new scheme and we loose nothing else in return, then it will be excellent.

However, call me Mr Cynical, but I wonder if this will replace the Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) scheme that already allows most of us up to £6000 worth of training spread over 3 years, for up to 10 years after we have left the Service?

The really good thing about the ELC scheme is that it allows training by providers such as flying training schools, so you can use it to help get civilian licences etc. I certainly wouldn't like to see us loose that opportunity and have it replaced by a university course.

Quote:
BBC News report:-

"According to the News of the World, personnel who complete six years service in the Army, Royal Navy or RAF will qualify for the scheme."
"Currently those serving in the armed forces can have tuition fees fully or partially paid for certain courses, but the incentives are based around retaining personnel. This new package can be taken even after they have left the service."
Big deal!! The ELC scheme can be used for up to 10 years after you've left the service and by people who have only served for 4 years! Do I detect the spin machine already at work to justify the loss of the ELC scheme?

LFFC,

You might want to consider the offer and start with "English Language" (ie: spelling).

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

McK