PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow.... but nearly shot down ?????
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2000, 14:28
Gluteus Maximus

Lightbulb

I agree with you expedite. There is little public knowledge of rules concerning aircraft. How many people (including pilots) know that it is illegal to fly kites near airports or airfields in the UK, for instance?

There are many hazards to aircraft, not just from fireworks and kites, but projectile weapons, remote controlled aeroplanes and so on. All these can be 'controlled' by members of a largely ignorant (not malicious) public.

The answer is for the Government to instigate a series of Public Information advertisements on TV, radio and other media. The risk may be small, but it does exist, so the expense can easily be justified (what price life?). I have never heard of a direct hit from a firework, but that doesn't mean to say that it will not happen in the future.

As an addendum, I remember, years ago, hearing about a bloke in Germany, who lived near a military helicopter base. He became sick and tired of the noise, so placed an advertisement in a newspaper, asking for people to sell him weapons. He had a heap of replies, including an anti-aircraft gun (with ammo) from a guy in Switzerland. He declined that offer, but ended up with a sling, and Bavarian Dumplings. The pilots had several direct hits from these dumplings, and complained to the authorities. The story ended with the 'terrorist' being charged and fined. It's amazing what can cause a danger to aircraft!