PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer v Pilot
Thread: Lawyer v Pilot
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 16:05
akindofmagic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I ask why you're speculatively shelling out for the LPC? Why not apply directly to the firms, who will all pay for your LPC training (and I believe give you some sort of subsitence allowance too)?

With regard to your question: I graduated with a law degree two years ago, and pretty much immediately went out to NZ with CTC. I had wanted to be a pilot since I was about three years old.

I met so many people who had done law because they were expected to: i.e. their parents, teachers etc. had led them down that route, and who were going into training contracts for no other reason than it was the natural next step. I wouldn't presume to suggest that this might be your situation. However, I very nearly got sucked in, applying for vac schemes and so forth, and then looking at training contracts. I came across CTC purely by chance, applied and turned my attention away from the law. The simple fact was, I neither have now, nor did I have then, any interest whatsoever in law.

Many of the guys and gals on my course had, like me, very little interest in law (a common comment heard was "I'm going to have to pretend to have a passion for commercial at my interview tomorrow."), and were heading inexorably into a job they had little or no affinity for.

I would ask yourself: do you really want to be a lawyer? Do you really want to be a pilot? Either will be a long grind if you make the wrong choice. Think carefully.

magic