PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer v Pilot
Thread: Lawyer v Pilot
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 15:14
99jolegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think it's a decision for you to make by thinking through each option as you are - nobody except you knows what you'd like doing best in the end.

When you are torn between two careers, you run the risk of being in one and desperately wishing you were in the other but that's life. Trick is to keep thinking and thinking and thinking until you are sure and don't choose an option until you are sure.

I'd suggest you research the finances for various FTOs. For example, CTC Wings scheme won't leave you in £70,000 worth of debt that you need to pay by yourself. The CTC Wings Scheme makes your other disadvantage slightly redundant - once you have your foot in the door, you are a step closer to securing a job in aviation. Of course, the scheme only makes it slightly redundant - "first in, first out" means you are likely to lose your job if an airline goes into administration, but if you are positioned in a large, stable airline then there isn't an enormous risk of losing your job.

I know you don't want to hear "if you don't know if you want to be a pilot, you shouldn't be one" but there is some truth in it because the path to becoming an airline pilot is loooong, arduous and hard work. You'll spend time away from home, spend a lot of time learning, both practically and theoretically, spend large amounts of money, have the risk of not getting an airline job and could well end up not actually making it into an airline. All of this means your will and determination to become an airline pilot will be tested to the limit - just look at the links Scroggs has put in the sticky at the top of the Wannbe's forum about "Pilot Pete's" story and G-SXTY's too. If your determination and will to become an airline pilot is torn between another career, you could well end up on an expensive mistake.

Whichever you choose, make sure you are 100% confident in it.