PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SMOKEHOODS
Thread: SMOKEHOODS
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2001, 11:30
Hugh Jorgen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In that case Michele - Apologies!! As I said before Journo's rake these pages to find a sensationalist story to frighten the public. The Industry just doesn't need it right now. I take your point about the life jackets, a premeditated ditching is so rare thesedays. However it has to be catered for, if it did happen I think most passengers simply would not know how to use them. It was proved in a TV studio a few years ago when at the start of the program a life jacket demo was done and half an hour later the audience was told to put on the life jacket under their seat. Very few managed. If smoke hoods were on board I suspect a lot of people would be struggling to put it on instead of getting out of the aircraft. The crew have them and will be of far more use because they are trained to evacuate the aircraft and get people moving. Simple smoke hoods are commercially available, if it is your own personal one - you will have read the instructions. Also you are far more likely to use it in a hotel or your own house. People must learn that they have to take some responsability for their own safety.