PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2001, 01:39
brockenspectre

Rainbow Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As a former skinny but now large person part of me has to agree with Mr Benn's rather acerbic comment...if you don't fit don't fly!

Why do I agree with him? well because everyone in an emergency should be able to "get around" an aircraft and very large people not only can't manage themselves but might block others.

I am a tall female and in the past couple of years have put on weight, as it happens, and the reasons are purely personal/medical and not to be shared in this forum. When I was skinny I was comfortable in any old airline seat. When I last flew to FL to visit friends in a BA 777 I had to request an aisle seat so that I had a chance to get myself out of the seat to visit the loos and generally give my legs a chance to move! To get in and out of the seat (with the one in front of me reclined) I had to clamber over the arm. I am still (relatively speaking) a young and mobile individual but anyone other would have been stuck. In an emergency those inboard of me (had I been immobile) would have been in trouble!

Most clothes manufacturers realise that the "standard" size is no longer a standard - I think airlines do have to acknowlege that a Brit 10/US 8 is no longer standard and to create cabins/seating more tailored to reality. If they wish to continue hiring tiny cabin crew that is fine but just recognise that pax sizes are different in 2001.

This does not mean I don't agree with Mr Benn - in fact in another forum I had the outrageous idea that a passenger should be weighed with checked bags and carry-on bags and there should be one UNIT of weight allocated per seat that can be distributed how SLF prefers. The fatter/heavier passenger would just have to pack less or take fewer gifts or just pay the diff!!