PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type ratings???
Thread: Type ratings???
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2001, 08:55
Low_and_Slow

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">1. What exactly is involved in this - do you have to take exams? How many hours do you do in the sim?
</font>
In the US the time will vary depending on your previous experience (an experienced Boeing glass driver takes less time to rate on another Boeing glass plane than someone moving from, say a DC-10), and on the complexity of the plane. The training terminates in a checkride.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">2. Would you ever train in the real aircraft? I've heard of Pilots doing it all in the 'sim', but the 'Air Show' a few years ago showed BA pilot trainees doing circuits at Prestwick in the A320.</font>
At least in the US, you can generally do all the training in the sim. If you don't already hold a turbojet type rating, however, you must do some flying on the practical test.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">6. Can you fly as many airliners as you like? Or only one at a time?</font>
I find it's difficult enough flying one plane. Don't think we could get them in close enough formation for me to fly more than one simultaneously .