PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Researching Bristol Brabazon
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 11:13
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The extended runway at Filton has always been known as the "Brabazon runway". This seems inaccurate as many aircraft manufacturing plants have lived with notably short runways, you need nothing like the performance with new, empty, minimum fuel aircraft. Boeing's Seattle Renton plant has always managed to ship out swept wing, runway hungry jets like the B-52 or the 707 from a small strip squashed in beside the lake. Likewise the VC-10s that went out of Weybridge.

I wonder why the same approach could not be contemplated for the less-demanding, prop-driven, straight-wing Brabazon. The runway extension caused a considerable amount of dislocation at the west of the airfield and cut through the new Bristol by-pass dual carriageway that ran from Patchway to Westbury, which had only been completed just before WW2 and was never properly used. No substitute for the road was really available until the M5 came along in the 1970s.

Although I am just too young to remember the Brabazon our family lived in south Bristol at the time and my father spoke about an occasion when the aircraft came in at low level over the house on a westerly heading for an overflight of Whitchurch airfield, then Bristol's airport, who were possibly having an open day/small airshow. Now the runway there would have been inadequate for the Brabazon. I believe it might have still been grass.

It seemed that about half of Bristol claimed some personal knowledge/contact with Bill Pegg, such was his charisma and prominence.

Always seemed that the Brabazon had been designed and developed quite independently of any market analysis of customer airlines for what they wanted. The same was true of the Saunders-Roe Princess, a flying boat of comparable size. In fact the whole set of Brabazon Committee designs seems to have been put together without any reference to who might buy or use them.