PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 04:14
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally found the time to locate the security camera and the aircraft on the runway at 155 kts, as recorded by the security camera. I found the following video on Youtube that provided the necessary information. It's an extended version of the security camera video we've seen earlier.

YouTube - Accidente toncontin

As others may have mentioned, the camera is located very near the north end of the terminal building. In the video, the clues needed to locate the camera are 2 cross taxiways where one is north and one just south of the camera position (the south taxiway is just visible before the camera points down at the end of the video), a linear row of buildings across the runway from the camera, a small building across the runway farther south, and a small road that runs north from the tarmac area located west of the main taxiway and running parallel to it. All are visible in the extended video and a satellite image.

Here's the google map satellite image that helped me to locate the camera:

Google Maps

The satellite image and this airport diagram also helped me to locate the aircraft.

http://www.costaricaaviation.com/cha...G_ARPT_DIA.PDF

The aircraft is recorded in the video (and measured at 155 kts) between the cross taxiway directly in front of the control tower/terminal building, and the next cross taxiway to the north.

The best estimate of the aircraft's nose location on the runway that I could come up with, is from video frame 20.031. Frame 20.031 is the frame I'm most comfortable giving an estimate for, as it has the best visual references. This location is around 2250 feet north of the displaced threshold (horizontal line immediately south of the piano keys in the satellite image), give or take maybe 100 feet.

By frame 20.828 the aircraft has traveled about 263 feet further and is still moving at 155kts ground speed. So by frame 20.828 at around 2500 feet north of the displaced threshold, the aircraft is still moving at 155kts, as captured by the security camera.

If interested, see my post #196 for details about the aircraft's measured ground speed.

Last edited by Flight Safety; 14th Jul 2008 at 04:30.