PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 01:34
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
b) neither. I call NO DECEL if there is no light.
Clandestino, is the opposite true? in other words, do you call 'DECEL' if there IS a light?

Secondly, at what stage in the touchdown/rollout process would you normally expect to make the call?

I ask because touchdown, according to the transcript, was at 15:45:11.7. The F/O called 'manual braking' at 15:45:18.9 and 'DECEL' (actually 'decal' in the transcript) at 15:45:20.4.

Would that sort of timing (8-9 seconds from touchdown) be about right, in your experience?

Originally Posted by Clandestino
As I see it, the best choice is to wait till FDR data are made public and only then go into technicalities.
Couldn't agree more in normal circumstances. But in this case the 'investigating authority' (the El Salvador CAA) is on record as follows:- "El Salvador does not yet rule out any cause of the accident including human error and continues to say, that the investigation will take about a year until reaching conclusions."

So it's pretty clear that there's a cover-up going on. Sure, we could just stop talking about the possible causes of the accident for the next year or so.

But, on the available evidence, that would be exactly what the 'investigators' want us (and everyone else) to do.......

As to the Cardiff/Ibiza incidents, this article discusses them pretty fully. It appears that the cause of the glitch has never been found, since the article says:-

"Manufacturer Airbus could not replicate the fault codes recorded by the BSCU BITE (built-in test), the CFDS (Central Fault and Display) nor the flight data recorder (FDR). However, very brief "micro-cut" power interruptions revealed a problem in the separate power supplies for the two BSCU channels. The FDR disclosed that the cycling of the A/SKID & N/W STRNG on finals had caused a swap-over in the active BSCU channels and a consequent silent loss of autobrake arming. In a word, "tricky."

A Very Halting Affair to Remember | Air Safety Week | Find Articles at BNET

Last edited by RWA; 14th Jul 2008 at 04:02. Reason: Edited to add link and explanatory comment