PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 23:01
Justin Cyder-Belvoir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ag Bis

I wasn't remarking on the breach or otherwise of SOPs, the company in question has a 500ft stabilised requirement, but no SOP 500ft Go Arround / continue call.

My observation was based on the dynamics of that particular situation: a positioning flight, no pax or CC. Landing on a very long runway at a very light weight with a planned ( my emphasis ) exit at the end. Instructed by ATC 180 to 4 and the instruction not cancelled and then having to decel and configure a very slippy jet in 2 and bit miles.

Firstly the use of FDM data in that situation to achieve a dsiciplinary kill is, in my opinion, over the top: no one was hurt, the jet landed safely and my chum isn't given to random acts of cowboy behaviour.

Having decided to use the FDM as a big stick it would, in my opinion have been more sensible to simply have him in for tea and biscuits, ask for an explanation, and tell him not to try that on a revenue flight or he will have his legs slapped.

Proportionate response to FDM data is what is needed: if it is used as a preventative tool, i.e. any minor trangression results in a slapped wrist rather than sacking it serves it's purpose. If the transgressor repeats the "offence" a closer examination of their operating technique may well be required. However, using it as a Sword of Damocles is hardly what it was designed for!