PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 18:14
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM,

I couldn't agree with you more, but it is at Group level and above that the problem starts.

Bis
I still think that that assertion is wrong.

OA,

I disagree. I think the advantages offered by having aircrew who understand the ethos and wider operational implications for naval and Army aviation is clear. Whilst I accept that the RN has struggled (some would say failed) to maintain a viable fixed wing aircrew cadre for almost 40 years, I don't think that that is irrecoverable. Indeed, it could be suggested that the decision to drastically cut back on carrier aviation in the 60s contributed to that situation. CVF has the potential to reverse that situation.

However, RN aviators have for many years been denied the opportunities of an aviation related career beyond SO1 rank and this has undoubtedly also been a contributory factor. I see signs now that that is changing, with the establishment of several aviation flag appointments.

It's a shame the Army aren't following the RN's example.

In short, it will always be to the Joint advantage if the RN and Army have experienced aviators capable of fighting air power's corner both within their own services, and from their services' standpoint in Joint appointments such as a CAOC.

However, I think there is some debate to be had on whether those RN (and RM) aviators are part of Joint sqns, or naval air sqns in their own right. From my perspective, I think they should be naval sqns but with a greatly increased number of light blue exchange posts. Similarly, it should be an accepted part of a RN aviators career progression to spend time with the RAF (and for that matter the Army). In that way, Joint understanding will improve, and Joint suspicion will reduce.

Regards,
MM