PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2008, 17:48
[email protected]

Received 655 Likes on 289 Posts
OldLAE - your post just referred to DHFS and the subject we were talking about was pilot training - why do you now say it was specifically the new engineering practises you were lauding when your post says nothing of the sort? I am confused - but that happens easily The serviceability at DHFS is excellent but they have new aircraft and experienced engineers.

Pumaboy - the Carson blades modification was procured under a UOR for those few Mk 4s, I believe, so getting the same upgrade for all SeaKings would have to be justified another way. The blades massively improve all areas of the Sea King performance such that the normal FE limit of 127kts is available at MAUM and at high altitude whereas on a standard Sea King the performance drops off very quickly with either AUM or DA.

The PTIT measuring on the 1T engines has been accurately fudged so that whilst the guage indicated limit is still the same (795 degC PTIT) the actual PTIT is higher allowing more power to be pulled. The only difference I believe is that whilst the Max con on a normal engine is not cumulative, on the 1T it is and after amassing 2.5 mins the engine is rejected.

The combination of the two mods gives a large increase in hot and high performance which is exactly as claimed by Mr Carson - the Sea King fleet could be given a 'late-life' update that would give immediate performance benefits and probably save a lot of money in the mid to long term - so it probably won't happen. If they carried out these mods and an avionics upgrade on the Mk 3s we wouldn't need shiny S92s or 139s to do UK SAR

Rescue1 did I miss a post somewhere?

Bugs to 40 - I seem to remember that Lossie did a longranger for a lot of souls and had to exceed the MAUM in the process - sometime within the last 5 years I think.