PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Tips.
Thread: Command Tips.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2001, 02:57
I.L. Get-Mecôte

Thumbs up

The attitude to learn, to look for more knowledge and to keep learning is the way ahead.

I am a reasonably experienced RAF 4-jet QFI. I try to teach people by telling them of my own experiences/mistakes so that they can avoid making the same mistakes. Try and gat some of that from the training captains who will instruct/check you. However, all crew from any background and any experience can teach you something - even if it's how NOT to do something. Although 'crewroom talk' may not available to you (and it's getting less and less available in the RAF as well), you can still learn a lot by reading accident/incident reports and consider what you could do in your own environment if it happened to you. If you can use other people's experiences to be a bit more prepared for whatever is thrown your way, when the chips are down and your brain has shrunk to the size of a peanut, you will have just a bit more capacity. It has been mentioned before, but delegation is a great way to gain capacity. If you need to think about some complex problem/scenario/decision, then hand the aircraft over, if you can,until you have thought it through. You must also foster the atmosphere that your right-hand seat must be able to freely suggest things to you, no matter how daft - it's amazing how many daft ideas can be made into something sensible.

Sermon over. Best of luck.