PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Tips.
Thread: Command Tips.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2001, 22:10
Secret Squirrel

Question Command Tips.

My company has finally reached the bottom of the barrel. When they hired me as a 400hr pilot four years ago they probably never expected the day would ever come when they would have to offer me a command. Alas, a sweaty palm handed me a letter some months ago and soon a very shaky hand wrote my name on the course board for this month.

I only have 2000hrs and have experienced SOME dodgy moments, my statutory engine failure (as p1/us)as well as four winters. This June will see my third year on my current type.

As we all do I have observed a number of captains and the way they do things and have a general idea of the kind of captain I would like to be (if I pass the course!).

However, I'm nervous because I know there will be moments when my resolve, technical knowledge, ability to make the right decision will be put to the test. I can prepare for my course and I feel confident that I can make a good impression in the sim. What I find daunting is the day that the TC sitting in the jumpseat on my final day say's "Yep, you'll do", and sticks his paw mark in the box.

So, I know there are thousands of captains new and old out there and I would like to know what your advice to a nervous hopeful is. Feel free to jest if you must as it may lighten my mood, write stories in the vein of 'I learnt about command from that', or even the one unshakeable command rule by which you live.

Thanks in advance.

SS